Have questions? We have answers
What is a tenant protection plan?
A tenant protection plan is a contract between the self-storage facility and the tenant, with the facility assuming limited responsibility for the tenants’ belongings while they are stored in a locked unit in your facility. In other words, you agree to pay for the tenants’ belongings up to a specified dollar amount.
Is a tenant protection plan the same as insurance?
No. Homeowners’ or renters’ insurance covers the contents of a self-storage unit only up to a certain limit. It is a contract between a customer and their insurance company. A tenant protection plan will reimburse a tenant, up to a certain dollar amount, for damaged or stolen property (clothing and household linens are subject to depreciation).
What is covered under a tenant protection plan?
- Theft due to forcible entry
- Fire, smoke, lightning, or explosion
- Commercial property
- Water damage from a leaking roof or broken pipe (up to protection plan limits)
- Furs, antiques, works of art, and consumer electronics
- Cars, boats, jet skis, RVs, motorcycles, and quads stored inside units
- Document re-creation costs (up to protection plan limits)
- Moth, insect, rodent, or vermin damage up to $500
- Jewelry up to $500
- Document re-creation and reimbursement
Is there anything not covered under the plan?
There are some situations in which damages are not covered by Storage Shield.
- Loss due to flood damage
- Damage caused from dropping or moving property in and out of a storage room
- An improperly packed room resulting in damaged belongings
- Mysterious disappearance
- Any property stored outside a locked storage room, including RV’s, cars, boats
How do I file a claim?
You and your tenant will both complete and sign a Tenant Claim Affidavit. You will also need to provide Rental and Protection Plan Agreements, along with a payment ledger. A Claim Inventory spreadsheet will also need to be completed with receipts or weblinks (only necessary for items over $500) to prove the claim. Pictures will also be required as proof of your claim. To find detailed directions to file your claim click File a Claim. It is important that you assist the tenant in gathering the required information. If the tenant is not comfortable using a computer, walk them through the process in the office.
After the claim is filed, how long will it take for the tenant to be reimbursed?
If the claim is approved and the final steps are completed, it usually takes 30 to 60 days to receive the check. Click on File a Claim for more information.
Is a tenant protection plan required?
No. A Storage Shield tenant protection plan is optional.