Have questions? We have answers
Storage Shield is committed to you and the protection of your belongings. To help you learn more about Storage Shield and our services, here are some of our most frequently asked questions.
What is a tenant protection plan?
A tenant protection plan is a contract between the self-storage facility and the tenant, with the facility assuming limited responsibility for your belongings while they are stored in a locked unit. In other words, self-storage operators agree to pay you for damages to belongings up to a specified dollar amount.
Is a tenant protection plan the same as insurance?
No. Homeowners’ or renters’ insurance covers the contents of your self-storage unit only up to a certain limit. It is a contract between a customer and their insurance company. A tenant protection plan will reimburse you, up to a certain dollar amount, for your damaged or stolen property (clothing and household linens are subject to depreciation).
What is covered under a tenant protection plan?
- Theft due to forcible entry
- Fire, smoke, lightning, or explosion
- Commercial property
- Water damage from a leaking roof or broken pipe (up to protection plan limits)
- Furs, antiques, works of art, and consumer electronics
- Cars, boats, jet skis, RVs, motorcycles, and quads stored inside units
- Document re-creation costs (up to protection plan limits)
- Moth, insect, rodent, or vermin damage up to $500
- Jewelry up to $500
- Document re-creation and reimbursement
Is there anything not covered under the plan?
There are some situations in which damages are not covered by Storage Shield.
- Loss due to flood damage
- Damage caused from dropping or moving property in and out of a storage room
- An improperly packed room resulting in damaged belongings
- Mysterious disappearance
- Any property stored outside a locked storage room, including RV’s, cars, boats
How do I file a claim?
You will be emailed a Tenant Claim Affidavit to be completed and signed. You will also be emailed a Claim Inventory to complete. You will need receipts or weblinks (only necessary for items over $500) to prove your claim. You will also need pictures as proof of your claim. To find detailed directions to file your claim click, File a Claim. Be assured that if you are not comfortable using a computer or need assistance in any way, our staff will be happy to guide you through the process in the office.
After my claim is filed, how long will it take for me to be reimbursed?
If your claim is approved and the final steps are completed, it usually takes 30 to 60 days to receive your check. Click on File a Claim for more information.
Is a tenant protection plan required?
No. A Storage Shield tenant protection plan is optional.
If I forget to include my protection plan payment in my monthly rent, am I still covered?
Your tenant protection plan will be included in your monthly rent payment.